Caring for loved ones dealing with Alzheimer's or Dementia can be challenging if your home is not appropriately protected. A safe home can be a safe haven for those battling memory loss or issues getting around on their own.
Here are a few tips on how to protect your home and your loved ones:
1. Install or plug-in night lights.
2. Use a monitoring device to alert you for falls or emergencies.
3. Pick up lightweight rugs, and make sure to secure any rugs.
4. If there are portable fans in the home, make sure the blades aren't easily accessed.
5. Always exercise caution with electric blankets, space heaters, heating pads, etc.
6. If your loved one is at risk of falling out of the bed, place fall mats next to the bed.
7. A waterless vaporizer may reduce irritability and the static noise may help with sleep.
8. You may consider bed rails or even a hospital bed with rails and wheels.
9. Many say using high-contrast colors in the house can help with recognition.
If you need help implementing any of these steps or just need some advice on making your loved one more comfortable or safe at home, we can help. Our Kind Companions are ready to serve you and your family. Our staff is trained and understands the unique challenges and needs you may be facing.